Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Front Porch Entrance: The Birth of my Belle Part 6

After returning from the car, I sat on the floor of the bathroom timing contractions . . . 3:56 – 55 seconds, 4:00 – 45 seconds, 4:03 – 45 seconds, 4:07 – 40 seconds . . . Katherine got out of the tub choosing to labor on her birth-ball (an exercise ball). At this point she complained of pressure in her bottom; she also began to express that she felt panicky.

The contractions were now really strong, I could tell because Katherine would reach out to hold my hand which made it hard for me to time the contractions. I adapted. 4:44 – 20 seconds, 4:46 – 30 seconds, 4:52 – 45 seconds, 4:54 – 30 seconds. Katherine called the mid-wife and I got ready to wake Luke up. Return with a changed and very groggy son, I found Katherine had now moved to the living room. We had been given the green light to leave in order to rendezvous with the mid-wife at the birthing center. Katherine groaned as she hit the peak of a contraction. As it subsided she looked up at me intensely and said, “We need to go now!”

We gathered Judah and a couple small items and headed for the door. At this point we were having contractions every two minutes. I hoped we would be able to make it down the hall to the elevator before the next contraction set in. It took us three contractions to get to the car. Another while I strapped Judah into his car seat.

It was dark as I navigated out of the parking lot.

1 comment:

  1. fun to read the story - I see that you have not posted pictures of sophie and that you still have not removed the bad pictures of me....just saying...

    ReplyDelete