Friday, December 24, 2010

Running in the Snow

“Whoever thought of this tradition is uninvited next year,” declared my father-in-law as we all loaded up in the cars to head out for our three mile road race. I think that this is now the second holiday in a row that I’ve run a road race, a little disconcerting and it was colder this time! The kids stayed warm though, don't they look happy! After the race we shared “high-low,” my high was definitely McDonalds and a cup of coffee post race, the low was at my first mile when I looked at my watch and realized that I was pacing at 7 minutes; I was in shape for 8 minute miles. It was a rough last two miles, but not as bad as my brother-in-law’s low. Katherine asked Jerry to go in and look for Jon, when Jerry came back out the 200 people who were standing expectantly at the starting line in the 22 degree weather a moment ago were nowhere in sight. No worries Jerry, next year you will be in Greece on stint and I will be running around a parking lot in Shelbyville in sub-arctic temperatures! And please no comments about the lime green running shirt!!

2 comments:

  1. The picture of Ava in the stroller reminds me of Ralphie in A Christmas Story - when the mom puts 18 layers of clothes on him and he can't put his arms down... :) Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Whoever thought of this tradition is uninvited next year"
    "Don't they look happy?!" hahahaha! (my favorite)
    "but not as bad as my brother-in-law's low."
    I laughed really hard rereading this today, Michael. Ahh, good memory. :)

    ReplyDelete