Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Creepy Bride: Part 1

While I have never desired to watch a horror movie and have proudly never seen Freddie or any of the "Scary Movie" saga, and I while I enjoy intense movies, Dead Man Walking (would not recommend) or Schindler's List (recommend with provisos), I have never quite figured out what to do with creepy movies. I find that they make their way into my subconscious and then set up shop from which they flit through my mind. You are thinking, "duh, creepy . . . that's the fun of it!" I guess it depends on your context.

This last week, I added to my creepy movie repetior (of which four come to my mind, though I'll throw in a fifth for my wife). The only creepy movie that I can remember from my younger years is Wait until Dark with Audry Hepburn (recommend!) and Psycho (recommend!). Hey don't laugh, my parents didn't let me watch the Wizard of Oz (recommend) until I was older because they thought the flying monkeys would scare me. To their credit, I was a very sensitive child and prone to have nightmares -- and the monkeys would have scared me!

The next creepy movie that I can recall was M. Night Shyamalan's (creepy name) The Village. Now I'm told this movie isn't that bad as far as creepy goes, but remember I am kind of a novice with these things and it should be noted that the nightmares that I had as a child always involved being chased by wolves. I think that this came from listening to a "Peter and the Wolf" sound track on my record player...

My wife teased me when I had to check all of the closets, tubs, and behind the doors after we watched The Village. I was freaked! I got my chuckles when we watched a 1940s movie called Marnie. The story line is about an evil little girl that manipulates, maims, burns, and kills. It didn't phase me, because it didn't seem real enough, but apparently the inner workings of my wife's mind resonated (related?) a little too closely to this manipulative little girl. For the next week, I would walk into the room, saying, "Maarnieee . . . Maarniee," in my best evil, high pitch, squeaky, little girl voice. She begged me to stop and finally I did, though the temptation in me is growing to run into the other room and see if it still bothers her...

No comments:

Post a Comment