Monday, August 17, 2009

A Creepy Bride: Part 2

This weekend, I added number five to the creepy movie list. We were in the mood for a movie, but it seemed that there wasn't anything worth renting. We then took a recommendation; as I said, we were desperate. The movie was a kids movie with a PG rating . . . how bad could it be? The popcorn was popped, the m&m's divided, and the lights were low when we loaded, Coraline. The movie was not that intense, but the crepetivity of this movie shot through the roof when you took into account that it was directed toward kids. ("Crepetivity" is an adjective for creepy, made up by yours truly.)

As I went to church this morning, "crepetivity" was on my mind.

I thought about the story related to us on Friday night at a young marrieds gathering, where a friend of ours had been trying to get her young daughter into her car seat after a full day of work and day care when she was honked at by a church member who asked her to move out of the way so that they could get into the parking spot next to her. She complied, and moved out of the way so the car could pull in. The spot was tight and after the car was parked our friend and the driver who had just parked the car realized that the young mother would not be able to open the door to fasten in her child or get back into the car. Upon realizing this, the Wednesday night church goer suggested that she crawl over the seat. Our church's motto is "A Church you can Believe in." Good motto, creepy story.

The choir was now in full tilt as I watched the late comers, shuffle in. I noticed an older lady moving up the stairs to my left. I sit in the balcony with a small contingency of young marrieds at the early service. I have met this woman once during the obligatory Baptist meet-n-greet each service. When I met her she had informed me that she used to sit down on the floor until someone informed her that she was in the "wrong" pew. She told me that she had decided that she would never get in anyone's way again. She was so offended and bitter that she now sits in the nose bleed section of the balcony all by herself. I am not sure which is more disturbing: territorial pew sitters or bitter old women in the balcony. "A Church you can Believe in." Good motto, creepy story.
Sunday school was packed as usual. As we left small group I struck up a conversation with a friend over my job hunt and the fact that I had been "dinged" for a position at our church. I commented that it was probably for the better as the individuals on staff were all very gracious, but somehow the work environment is tenuous and even cut-throat [future post: the megachurch]. As we were comparing notes, he commented that he loved our church, but had been turned off by the price tag of a bathroom which had been installed for one of the executive staff members, to the tune of well...

No comments:

Post a Comment