Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A View from the Zoo: part 4

Note: read first A View from the Zoo: Part 1, 2, and 3

Andy's surgery went well and in the end I received an extension on my thesis and was permitted to walk at commencement, but would have to graduate in the Summer. Tutoring wrapped up and commencement came and went. May flew by as I concentrated on sending out thank you's to those who had partnered with us through prayer and financial support over the last four years. In my weaker moments, I wondered if their prayers had diminished with the advent of my graduation. Until the last several weeks of seminary, we had experienced a hedge of protection and tranquility that would be hard to explain apart from the prayers of those who had partnered with us. But God answers prayers in His own ways!

I sent more thank you's to those who had very generously lavished graduation gifts upon me. In the midst of the storm in April through the present, God has continued to demonstrate His faithfulness and provision toward us in a myriad of ways. In May, He provided a short vacation and clothes for Luke through our Sunday School class. In June, He provided income through tutoring. In July, He allowed us to sell our car and buy a van, my thesis passed, and we took two trips to San Antonio, without Luke (Thanks, Aunt Suz!).

I had planned to have a job in April. This was then pushed back to May. The two week before the beginning of August found me encouraged with several churches nibbling and two phone interviews. This time it was a church in Canada and a church in Iowa. I was 1 of 4 being considered out of 93 applicants in Canada and 1 of 3 being considered out of 24 applicants in Iowa. They both seemed to be a good fit. I had been diligent in my job hunt and the fruits of my labor were beginning to show. August was about to arrive and my prospects of lining up employment before the end of the summer were plausible. The day we left for San Antonio, the church in Canada sent the "ding" e-mail. Ding = "God bless, but you are not the chosen one." Now we are willing to relocate to Canada if God wills, but to shift from 1,000 miles south of Indianapolis to 1,000 miles north of Indianapolis would be a challenge. I consoled myself by thinking that Iowa was in the mid-west and that I would never be in danger of picking up the terminology, "Eh?" That weekend, I whisked Katherine away to San Antonio to celebrate her and four years of being in Texas. August had now arrived.

This last Wednesday found us at the zoo. I'm still not sure whose bright idea it was for a 22 month old, an 8 month preggo, and an unemployed seminarian to go to the zoo in 105 degree weather, but it was a small victory. That afternoon, I got the call from the church in Iowa. I was not the chosen one. It was a blow! Katherine's tears spoke for us both. I am the one who is supposed to be the wordsmith, but my wife often is the more concise. "I am just tired of waiting!"

"Yep," I thought to myself as I trudged down to get the mail, "I think God's finally got me where He wants me. It's His sweet spot, I've been there before. I can taste it! It scares me to death and thrills me at the same time. It must be like an astronaut floating in space, it's amazing and terrifying at the same time. He has pushed me to the edge of my envelope . . . I wonder how far out into the deep he will take me . . . He won't take me too far, will He? No, He won't take me anywhere He is not. I wonder how I will respond . . . He won't give me more than I can bear, will He? No, He's promised not to do that. Is this what faith looks like for me?"

I reaching into the mail box while these questions assaulted my mind. I quickly noticed what appeared to be "real" mail as my wife calls it. The note was addressed to me. It was from Daniel. A dear friend of K and mine from Purdue days. [Daniel is a true Rennaisance man, but I revere him because of his prowess on the organ. I know that churches by the day are getting rid of these glorious instruments, but it is a mistake! Any instrument that can produce enough force to be felt in your chest wall while making melodies that can bring you to tears is a singularly powerful weapon in the arsenal of worship! So I am biased and I want Daniel to be my organist some day.]

I quote,

"I just wanted to drop a line to say 'congratulations!' and also send this little 'graduation booster [$].' It's been such a joy to follow you guys during simenary and keep getting your updates! Be encouraged now as you wait for the next step along the journey and don't forget God's promises for your good and His glory even amidst the depressing days where things aren't going as you'd like. Keep in touch my friends! You are loved and appreciated! God's grace on the next step! Daniel"

Parking at the zoo, $5; Admission to the zoo on half price admission day, $6 a seminary education so that I can be "dinged," $40,000; God's timing in all areas of my life, priceless!

Sola de gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment